What can threaten fat on the stomach?
The debate about what is best to have: a slender figure or magnificent forms – do not subside. But one thing is certain: a large belly adorns neither a woman nor a man. Why does he appear? Why is fat often deposited on the stomach, even when a person has a relatively slender build?
The causes of a large abdomen can be different in women and in men.
Fat on the abdomen in women: 5 reasons
1. Overeating. This is the most commonplace reason leading to the appearance of excess fat. Together with the lack of movements, overeating leads to the fact that unused calories from food are stored “in reserve”.
2. Menopause. During this period, the production of estrogen, the female sex hormones, decreases. To make up for their shortage, the body tries to get them from fat cells. And so the number of the latter begins to increase, accumulating in the waist and hips.
3. Ovariectomy. This term refers to the removal of the ovaries. It is the ovaries that are responsible for the production of sex hormones in women. Hormones are not produced – the amount of fat increases.
4. Constant stress. Fat at the waist is deposited due to hormonal bursts, or rather, due to the production of stress hormone cortisol in large volumes.
5. Endocrine pathology. So, the cause of fat deposition on the stomach may be hypothyroidism – insufficient thyroid function. Endocrine diseases such as Itsenko-Cushing’s syndrome, hormone-active tumor of insulinoma, etc. also lead to the appearance of a fat layer in the abdomen.
Fat on the abdomen in men: 5 reasons
1. Overeating. Like women, this is the most common reason that a man’s stomach begins to grow.
The main reason for a big belly is overeating
2. Unhealthy diet. Passion for fast food, refined carbohydrates, energy drinks, fatty foods leads to the deposition of fats at the waist. The appearance of the “beer belly” can also be attributed to this.
3. Lack of physical activity. In particular, this leads to the fact that the abdominal muscles weaken, become flabby, the stomach itself sags and fills with fat.
4. Male menopause. It is characterized by a decrease in the male sex hormone testosterone. It is its drawback that contributes to the formation of a fat layer on the waist.
5. Pathologies of the endocrine system – a lack of thyroid hormones, pituitary pathology, hypothalamus, adrenal gland pathology.
Why is fat deposited on the stomach?
Mostly fat is deposited on the abdomen in people with an abdominal body type, or, as it is also called, an “apple”. This type is inherent in men, but it also occurs in women. In this case, the person may have a normal figure, but the stomach is disproportionately enlarged.
This physique is inherited.
The appearance of fat on the abdomen can also be associated with the following reasons:
weak abdominal muscles;
displacement of the spine and protrusion of the internal organs with improper posture;
in women, a stretching of the walls of the abdomen that occurs after pregnancy, and filling with fat of the appeared folds.
How can fat on the stomach be dangerous?
The body generally needs fat. It participates in metabolism, supplies us with energy, accumulates vitamins, and stores heat. But if the fat becomes too much, it turns from a friend into an enemy.
With the appearance of fat on the abdomen, it is more difficult for internal organs to cope with their functions
But before talking about the harm that fat deposited on the stomach brings, it is necessary to determine its types.
Fat can be:
subcutaneous, evenly distributed between the skin and muscles;
visceral, enveloping organs – intestines, spleen, liver, heart.
Ideally, 1 part of visceral fat should account for 9 parts of subcutaneous.
Excess visceral fat is most often the culprit of the bulging abdomen. However, this cosmetic drawback is not so bad. Worse, this fat is a direct threat to health. What can be dangerous fat on the abdomen in women and men?
It produces substances that turn into “bad” cholesterol.
It produces hormones that adversely affect the functioning of all body systems.
The result is:
For men, in addition, excess visceral fat on the abdomen is dangerous for erectile dysfunction, or, more simply, impotence.
In addition, visceral fat produces substances that increase appetite. That is, a kind of vicious circle is formed: the more this fat, the higher the appetite, which leads to the formation of new deposits in the waist area.
How to determine that you are at risk?
Recently, in our State Duma, a new law on the restriction of the waist circumference was discussed. It is not clear, however, how our legislators are going to limit this parameter, but there is a sound grain in this.
Sports will help in the fight against excess weight
The fact is that the waist circumference (OT) is the main indicator of the presence of excess visceral fat, and hence the risk of many serious diseases.
According to various sources, the norm is considered to be OT in women 82–88 cm, in men – 94–100 cm.